Supervisor Brent Oleson is a dedicated, passionate public servant who is involved in the community and committed to making Linn County a desirable place to work, live and grow. Oleson’s professional experience includes as an attorney in the private practice of law, working in state government with the Secretary of State’s Office, the Legislative Services Bureau, and serving as Senior Legislative Counsel to the Majority (2006) and Minority (2007-8) Leader’s office in the Iowa Senate.
Brent resides in Marion with his children, Kennedy and Quinn. He is a graduate of the University of Iowa (B.A. Political Science, Communications, 1995) and the University of Iowa College of Law (Juris Doctorate 2000).
- Brent is the current Chair of the Cedar Rapids/Linn County Solid Waste Agency Board of Directors. He is also a member of the Marion Economic Development Company (MEDCO) and the Prospect Meadows Ball Fields (PMBF) Board of Directors.
- Brent represents Linn County in the Iowa State Association of Counties (ISAC) as a member of the Land Use and Rural Affairs Committee and the Supervisors Affiliate Executive Committee.
- On the national level, Brent serves as a member of the National Association of Counties (NACo) Environment, Energy and Land Use Steering Committee and is the Vice Chair of its Land & Solid Waste Subcommittee. Oleson is also a member of NACo’s Green Government Advisory Board.
- Brent is a member of or active in the following groups:
- St. Matthew’s Catholic Church
- Friends of Linn County Conservation
- National Rifle Association
- Indian Creek Nature Center
- Linn County Trails Association
- Iowa Sierra Club
- University of Iowa Alumni Association
- Linn County & National I-Club
- inn County Pheasants Forever
- Cedar Valley Humane Society
- American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Animal Rescue League - Iowa
- Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
- Linn County Farm Bureau
- Trees Forever
- Iowa Prairie Network
- Iowa Bar Association
- Iowa Water & Land Legacy Fund